Welcome to the historic Wigwam Resort — base camp for adventurers.
Built in 1917, the Wigwam began as a private resort getaway for local businessmen and their families. It became incorporated in 1918 and was turned into a night club in connection with the local Klimek’s Lodge. It exchanged hands again in 1947, when most of the remodeling began. Since Tom Briggs purchased the resort in 1998, he’s added the Cabana Bar and many of the independent structures throughout. As one of the more senior resorts on the point, Wigwam Resort continues to thrive as one of Lake of the Woods’ most active getaway destinations and guided fishing and tourism hot spots. It has also been home to wedding receptions, holiday family gatherings, and reunions.
Meet the owners — TOM AND NINA BRIGGS
Thomas C. Briggs was born in Shakopee, MN. He moved to Nisswa, MN in 1970 at the age of 7. That same year, his dad bought him his first boat. In 1980, he was voted into the Nisswa Guides League at the age of 17 and continued professionally guiding across the US for the next 18 years. In 1998, he planted roots on Lake of the Woods, purchasing the Wigwam Resort just outside of Baudette, MN. That same year, he met Nina and later were married. Together they raised children, Garrett, Bryce, and Gloria. Tom continues to guide for the resort part-time, while also holding down the fast-paced, ever-changing, always interesting owner’s role. Nina, like Tom, wears many hats at the resort and also owns and operates a dog grooming business from their home.